That would be the million dollar question I hear all the time. What does it take to get monetized on YouTube? I wish there was a standard all around fantastic answer to that, unfortunately, there is not 😦
For the most part there is lots of luck involved and I speak with a ton of experience having been both monetized and then demonetized in the course of the last 4 years.
As you get lost in the world of algorithms and keywords and thumbnails with the right content, you might at some points think that if you find the right combination, it will all work out for you.
I have seen people shoot out to the stratosphere with a little bit of content (and to be truthful…not always the best content) while others who work this as hard as a day job have years and years invested before they see any results (I would fall into that last category).
But here is the standard stuff you should know about how to get monetized. The steps and milestones you need to reach in order to finally start earning on YouTube.
1. You need to accept the terms to become a YouTube partner and be part of their program.
2. Then you should set up your Google Adsense account. They send you a paper within a few weeks and have you verify a legitimate bank account and then they deposit a few pennies to make sure everything works well.
2.a. You will also need to set your monetization preferences i.e. what kind of ads you want to appear on your channel.
3. Once that is done, you need to start uploading content so you can get watch time. You need 4 000 hours or 240 000 watch time minutes and 1000 subscribers to get reviewed for monetization. (this is the part that can take a moment or years to accomplish) Tip: Videos over 10 minutes get better watch time and more ads when you do end up being monetized.
4. Once you reach that awesome time, you need to make sure you keep uploading and grow because they always calculate your watch time from todays date and backwards 365 days. (So if your watch time drops because you stop uploading, you may end up without sufficient watch time and get demonetized…oh the pressure of it all!!)
5. Don’t forget that you have to pay taxes on this income however little of it you may get at the beginning because you will need a threshold of at least $100 to get a payout every month. (anymore hurdles you ask??)
And finally, if you are in this for a quick buck, you may want to get a day job because the buck has taken a while to get to my bank and there is no guarantee to get more since YouTube changes their rules and regulations over and over again which can also be a source of frustration.
For those of you who prefer have someone talk these things through, here is TheContentBug to explain (funny part of this is this particular video was so popular that her subscriber base shot up so much she is now at over 50k and I am sure her income also increased exponentially. Such is the wonder of YouTube)
Make sure to follow us on one of our social sites below, and yes we do have 2 YouTube Channels. 🙂
Make sure to watch one of our videos below. A New Series I am starting about manifesting your best year yet!! ❤ Thanks for your support!!