Saving Money

The Big 3

What sucks the life out of your wallet? That’s easy. It’s the big 3. Anything running on high voltage, but there are the 3 usual suspects.
The Hot Water Heater that is constantly running.
Hot water heating at all times of day as your money runs down the drain. Since we have already addressed this in the previous chapter, there are ways to save on this.

For more on this go read my entry called Hot Water Tanks – Oh My!

The Clothes Dryer. This can be averted if you utilize the clothesline as I also mentioned before. Making your price to use this nil.

For more on this go read my entry called Clothes Lines vs. Dryers

Oven

This one I have not broached yet, but would like to since there are options to this.
Induction cooktop burners are being used more and more as we go. This is your stove top without the stove attached to it. Most run on 110 instead of 220. I know in my house we run one burner maybe 2 at a time so buying a couple of these would suffice us.
Between that and the microwave, we would be fine.
Just remember the double induction ones have to separate the power between them. So let’s say one runs at 70% and the other 30%. It’s important to make sure nothing else is running on that plug when you are using these avoiding the chance of overcharging the breakers.
I would not recommend running the microwave and induction at the same time on the same plug.
Double:
Double Induction Cooktop (U.S. Link)

But let’s face it. The Oven part is the one that cost the most. My solution since I don’t use the oven quite as much as I used to. I use the BBQ outside in summer and a convection toaster oven. Convection ovens have come a long way since their beginning. And because they use less energy and cook faster they have become a favorite of mine. An oven can run up an average of 2 kWh as opposed to a toaster oven at .9 kWh.

Convention Toaster Oven (U.S. link)

Convection Toaster Oven (Canada link)

Then there is the convention microwave that is even more popular. A two in one that takes up less space and can save you up to 20% on your power bills. Yes you read right that could be a 20% savings.

Convection Microwave Oven (U.S. link)

Convection Microwave Oven (Canada link)

If you can reduce power to these big 3, the rest should be peanuts, and you are well on your way to saving!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s